Field Service Engineer - Southern California
Southern California Based (Remote) Service Centers Full-time
Berkeley Lights is seeking an exceptional candidate for the position of Field Service Engineer to join our Operations, Service & Support team as we look to scale our Field Service organization through the next stages of growth. The candidate will be responsible for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrading and repairing of a rapidly evolving life science technology platform. In this role, the engineer will closely work with internal stakeholder and external customers to support systems in house and in the field. The candidate should have excellent communication and customer service skills as well as experience working with complex lab automation equipment.
This is a great position for quick and adaptable learners who would love to work at a budding startup company with the opportunity to contribute to the growth of a world class service and support organization!
- Coordinate platform installation process including: customer facilities inspection, instrument installation, platform validation and execution of quality verification tests.
- Perform routine maintenance and repair on complex instruments comprised of sophisticated electro-mechanical software, microscopy, optics, liquid handling and computing components.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting guide to support customer platform instrumentation, software and workflows.
- Document in-house and in-field repair instructions and best practices.
- Participate in engineering design reviews to drive platform serviceability need.
- 2+ years of experience as a technician or engineer working with complex electromechanical, optical, micro/nanofluidics instruments/hardware and platforms.
- Strong electrical, mechanical, and software troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment maintaining production equipment.
- Experience with hand and power tools and common test equipment, including multi-meters, oscilloscopes and soldering tools.
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot component level failures in large scale instruments.
- Comfortable working in fast paced, dynamic, start-up tech company environment..
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Vigorous sense of workmanship, quality, pride, craft, and aesthetics of your work.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally for installation, service, and upgrades (up to 75%).
- Ability to lift up to 75lb.
- Experience in biotech, life science, or semiconductor industry.
- Experience servicing complex microscopy systems, DNA sequencers or well-plate scanners, including scientific cameras, lenses, and filters.
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience. New graduates with a background in engineering are encouraged to apply