Field Applications Scientist - West Coast
Emeryville, CA Service Centers Full-time
Berkeley Lights is looking for an applications scientist with a strong engineering background to help our Biopharma customers develop workflows, train users and troubleshoot processes primarily in the West Coast region of the United States. You'll be integral in supporting a rapidly evolving technology platform enabling single cell assay, cell culture, therapeutics and Cell Line Development. You should be a scientist or engineer with great communication and customer service skills who is comfortable with advanced lab automation equipment and willing to travel. This is a highly visible position that prioritizes customer success, has direct ties to top management.
- Provide training & technical support to Biopharma customers on platform instrumentation, software and microfluidic workflows.
- Assist customers in experimental design and workflow automation for Cell Line Development, R&D and Discovery workflows.
- Provide technical guidance to customers for troubleshooting workflows, instrumentation and software.
- Coordinate platform installation process, including: facilities inspection, instrument installation, platform validation and execution of quality verification tests.
- Work closely with Field Applications Manager and Sales/Marketing team to collect, communicate and document new feature requests, future application needs and platform improvement feedback.
- Conduct regular follow-up meetings with customers to ensure success in adoption of Berkeley Lights’ technology.
- 2+ years experience supporting Biopharma customers on life science platforms in technical field support role.
- Ability to independently support and troubleshoot complex electromechanical, optical, and micro/nanofluidic instrumentation/hardware, robotics in early stages of development using structured engineering approaches.
- Familiarity with cell/tissue culture, cell-based assays, and microscopy platforms; experience in modern molecular and cell biology techniques.
- Ability to thrive in early stage technology development with demanding schedules and deliverables.
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal and communication skills to clearly articulate ideas, problems, and solutions.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Programming/ coding skills (Python, Java, MATLAB).
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering/ Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biophysics or other multidisciplinary engineering fields with exposure to biological applications.
- Willing to travel for up to 75% of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50lb.
- Proficient data analysis skills; experience with data-mining software (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire) is desired.
- Experience servicing complex instrumentation.